So, a lot happened since our last post three months ago. To give you an idea…
Here are a few of the events we’ve had for our amazing staff and mentors:
- We hosted a fun-filled Brown Carabao Gift Exchange in December! Highlights include eating Porto’s pastries courtesy of Ate Jhea, seeing former KAMPers like Kuya Jon, Kuya Brandon and Ate Gail, and setting a new record for gift steals.
- We held an incredible Staff & Mentor Winter Retreat in January! See our last reflection post about retreat, written by Ate Michelle.
- Our research team celebrated their first year working together at an escape room, and they solved it with 38 seconds to spare!
Here’s some of what we’ve done with our wonderful, dedicated community partners:
- We moved to a different server this month! We’re so grateful for our new home on the internet. Many thanks to Kuya Sev and Kuya Ray for their generosity.
- We attended Asian Solidarity Collective’s (ASC) first event: Solidarity Get Down! ASC is a new grassroots organization in San Diego whose mission is to activate Asian American social justice consciousness, identify intersectional affiliations, condemn anti-Blackness, and build Asian solidarity with Black folks and other communities of color. Stay posted for updates about our exciting new partnership with ASC!
Here are our reluctant updates about PQ Village:
- We’re heartbroken, and we’re angry.
- Earlier this month, San Diego City Council approved the Pacific Village redevelopment proposal with a vote of 8-to-1. Even if they hadn’t, though, policy-driven circumstances had made it so the redevelopment was a shoe-in. What happened with PQ Village is a glaring example of statements like, “The system wasn’t built for us.”
- For now, we are keeping our ears to the ground for updates. Organizer-friends who are closer to the residents may be sharing call-outs soon, for volunteers to help with packing and moving.
And last but not least, here are our updates about what we’ve done and been working on for our students:
- We had awesome classroom visits at Sweetwater High School and Mt. Carmel High School (y’all are so on point)!
- We facilitated a workshop at UC San Diego Kaibigang Pilipinx’s high school conference!
- And we’ve have officially begun working on FilGrad 2018!!! That’s right. It’s happening.
On that note, if you’re down to help us make FilGrad happen, we’d love to have you join one of our committees! Email us at kampsd[@]gmail[.]com, and we’ll link you up.